[cisco-bba] about Cisco 7206VXR + PA-A6-OC3SMI

Doug McIntyre merlyn at Geeks.ORG
Tue Sep 23 15:58:02 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 03:10:10PM +0200, Matteo wrote:
> I would setup my customer in every situation pppoe, pppoa, rfc1483, in
> detail:
>
> my business customer: I think in RFC-1483
> my private cutomer: I think in PPPoE or PPPoA, what is difference ??

Why mixup RFC1483 (are you bridging or routing??) and PPP at the same
time?  It will be easier to grow and manage doing one thing and moving
forward from there. Starting out with every possible method makes it
difficult from the start. PPPoE is the most flexible, and not much of
an issue for customers to deal with.

PPPoA only can run over an ATM PVC. This works fine for an ATM setup,
CPE talking out its ATM PVC to the DSLAM hooked up via ATM back to the
ATM cloud and back down to your LNS/termination box. But it doesn't
work when you do things differently.

PPPoE works over just about any delivery method that has Ethernet on each end.

> in this moment I use only PPPoE becouse my cutomer bridge to me by wireless
> and fiber in ethernet.

Sounds fine, many providers are providing PPPoE only solutions now.

> I think that cpe how I would install to cutomer support every situation as
> pppoe, pppoa, rfc-1483

I think you are going about this the wrong way, and it sounds like you
are trying to make things hard for you.

RFC1483 routing was only used for very small scale deployments over
ATM networks. RFC1483 bridging was used in a bit bigger networks
mainly because providers didn't think customers could afford routers
and only bought bridges, or customers could figure out how to put a
username/password into one.

Now-a-days, all DSL CPE easily support routing, and in our experience,
having the customer program in their username/password in a webpage on
the router is quick and easy, even if they have to call in for a 5
minute support call to get it done. You tend to never hear from them
again about that sort of thing, and you can verify that they connected
right away in the logs.