[cisco-bba] 'sessions' versus 'PPPoA/E sessions' counts

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Fri Jun 5 02:56:24 EDT 2009

"sh pppoe sum" has a raw called TRANS which are the PPPoE sessions that are in in
transient state, i.e. ppp negotiation hasn't finished.

"sh caller sum" shows only the number of PPPoE sessions that have completed ppp
negotiation and are terminated locally.

For PPPoE, you can find the number of pending sessions (+ their macs) with :

sh pppoe ses | i LCP

For PPP, you can find the number of incomplete "sessions" with :

sh ppp stat | i Links at

A PPPoE session is defined as pending when the first PADI packet arrives. In order for
this session to become established, it must pass through the PPPoE (PADI/PADO/PADR/PADS)
and PPP (LCP/NCP/IPCP) phases (although NCP/IPCP might not be needed for VPDN).

--
Tassos