[cisco-bba] 7204VXR vs ASR1001-x (as LNS / provider is LAC)

Bruce Technical brucetechnical at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 14:21:41 EST 2017

Hi Nathan,

*"*but you can activate evaluation licenses which turn to RTU after 30
days, still honour based but TAC won’t help for issues without them." <<<
You mean we have to purchase licenses after 30 days or do you mean features
will work without purchase but there won't be any TAC support? I am
wondering if Cisco even sells those licenses anymore and if they are not
transferable this means an item from ebay won't do the job.

"Half the sessions come in as direct PPPOE and the rest come in over L2TP
tunnels. " <<< I am planning for NPE-G2 as everyone is suggesting it but
why would half the session come in as direct PPPoE and rest over L2TP? is
that how this work or just your infrastructure?

"We also do NAT for about 60% of the sessions too which increases the CPU
usage." <<< Why do you do NAT? Don't your clients get their own public IP
address without any NATing involved? Or is this some sort of inbound
traffic shaping?

"Still think that is fair, 7204vxr limited to 3gbit max using all ports,
and ESP40 will do 40gbit + a whole heap of other stuff.  " <<< Given there
is only 3 usable ports on NPE-G2 and no other NPE modules available the
only option for us is to stack when we grow or move to ASR1001-x when price
makes sense. We get a 1gbps fiber coming to us from ISP so that should be
just fine but as Harald mentioned 7204vxr+NPE-G2 realistically does up to
500mbps with this setup so we might have to soon stack. Can we not have a
network design like this without worrying if our Service Provider supports
multiple LNS IPs on our end:

                                                  * Service Provider*
*                                     -----some managed switch -----*
          |*
*                               7204vxr-A    7204vxr-B     7204vxr-C*

And we ask the switch to somehow load balance things?

Regards,