[nsp] Cheap flash

Roy garlic@garlic.com
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 23:12:09 -0800

Sometime ago I asked a question about flash and didn't get any explicit
answers so I went and tried it myself.

I used "Compact Flash" cards inserted in the PCMCIA adapter and was able
to load the software and boot from the cards on 7206 (both non-VXR and
VXR).  For about $60 each,  I outfitted all my routers with 128MB of
flash.  The only problem was the need to upgrade the bootflash on
non-VXR to handle the ATA disk format card.  So slot0 now has my old
small flash card with bootflash on it while disk1 contains the regular
code.

This trick will not work on the 3620 which doesn't seem to support ATA.

Hope this helps someone else save money.

Roy