[nsp] 7600 IOS SLB/WCCP for transparent cache

Arie Vayner ml@vayner.net
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:57:49 +0200 (IST)

Hi

I am investigating an option of using our 7600 to do transparent proxy
redirection.

I could not find anything special on Cisco's website except a short
paragraph saying:

"Transparent Webcache Load Balancing
IOS SLB can load-balance HTTP flows across a cluster of transparent
webcaches. To set up this function, configure the subnet IP addresses
served by the transparent webcaches, or some common subset of them, as
virtual servers. Virtual servers used for transparent webcache load
balancing do not answer pings on behalf of the subnet IP addresses, and
they do not affect traceroute.

In some cases, such as when its cache does not contain needed pages, a
webcache might need to initiate its own connections to the Internet. Those
connections should not be load-balanced back to the same set of webcaches.
To address this need, IOS SLB allows you to configure client exclude
statements, which exclude connections initiated by the webcaches from the
load-balancing scheme."

Does any one do it? Can I do it for other protocols except HTTP?
Would IP spoofing be supported (where the server is using the client's
source IP)?

Any ideas?

Arie