[nsp] VIP4 + gigE port adapter

George Boulescu george at roedu.net
Sat Apr 19 23:40:31 EDT 2003

> My entrance router is a 7507 with a GE/IP+ and a SONET
> OC-12 on a VIP4-80. It also has another VIP4-80 that

OC-12 POS in 75xx ? Are you shure ?
The only OC-12 interfaces available for 75xx are SRP/DPT or ATM.

> Does anyone know if I can do that?  I'm aware of the
> performance limitations of the 7507 backplane.  My

Technically it works.
I have a VIP4-80 with a PA-POS-OC3 and a PA-GE in it, but I haven't used
both interfaces at high rates at the same time.

With a 7513/RSP4, a GEIP+ and that VIP4-80 with POS-OC3 you can do
line-rate from the POS to the GE and viceversa, but the packetrate is not
so good (around 20-30kpps, after that the throughput starts to drop).

How much traffic do you want to push on that GEs ?

IMHO, if you want to do more that OC-3 rates, you should start to think at
other platforms, especially in an educational environment, where dos
attacks.... err, I mean high packetrates are not so unusual :)

--

George Boulescu
Senior Network Engineer