[nsp] route-map lossage

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Fri Apr 25 19:15:06 EDT 2003

I have an issue with route maps that I don't even know how to express
in a search query, so I figured I'd throw it out here.

7206VXR running 12.0.9(S)

Out of fairly long habit I have a 6-stage route map for every
BGP peer, with soft-reconfiguration inbound set, so that I can
adjust localpref and metric by tweaking some filter lists associated
with each route map (plus filter announcements in the default, last
case).  Watered down slightly, it goes something like this:

route-map XX-IN permit 5
 match as-path 15
 set local-preference 120
!
route-map XX-IN permit 10
 match as-path 61
 set metric 2000
!
route-map XX-IN permit 15
 match as-path 62
 set local-preference 80

etc, with some other stuff thrown in.  The first clause is always to
give preference to selected neighbor-local stuff, the other 5 clauses
adjusts localpref and metric to tweak paths for outgoing packets for
various reasons.

Then I can make simple adjustments to the referenced as-path lists, do
a clear bgp soft inbound, and have the changes take effect.

Well this works OK the first 1-3 times I change something.  After that,
the route-map (or as-path matching logic) seems to lose its mind, and
things just match randomly.  The only thing that seems to clear it is
a reboot, at which point things work exactly like they should.

Does this sound familiar?

mm