[nsp] Channelized DS3

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.ug
Mon Aug 4 17:19:08 EDT 2003

Brian Vowell wrote:
> Mark Tinka wrote:
>
>> cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:
>>

>>> What's the cheapest way to terminate a channelized DS3 circuit into
>>> a Cisco router?  Can this be done on a 2600 series, or do we have
>>> to move up to a 7200?
>>>

>>> thanks...
>>>

>> Well, I haven't yet come this far with my WANs, but wouldn't an HSSI
>> interface do? It can do some 52Mbps or so? Haven't really used it
>> before, so I can't offer more than this.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mark Tinka - CCNA
>> Network Engineer, Africa Online Uganda
>>

> The HSSI card seems to be the cheapest way to go, but there is still
> the problem of an external DSU that supports a channelized
> connection, which I am not sure which ones will.
>
> We're trying to terminate a bunch of DS1 circuits through a DS3, and
> I've never had to deal with this before.
>

> thanks...

Well, the telephone standards in Uganda [and Africa, generally] may differ
from Japan and the US, if you are in either of these countries. While we use
the E-1 [30 DS0s], Japan and the US will use T-1 [24 DS0s].

However, I would assume that the telco would worry about providing a
channelized service your way. In Africa, the CSU/DSU isn't CPE; it's telco
equipment. So they would need to provide the CSU/DSU that supports the
HSSI-type capacity and the format in which you'd want it, which is,
channelized. Would you have this option, or is your CSU/DSU CPE?

In your case, a DS-3 would basically be, a T-3, with 44.736Mbps of bandwidth
in a total of 672 DS0s. Since you can channelize the 24 timeslots in a T-1,
I would theorise that you should be able to channelize 672 timeslots in a
T-3.

Again, I've never tried this, so I could be wrong :-).