[nsp] 12.3T - a niiiiice feature :)

Antoine Versini vox at t-online.fr
Thu Aug 7 18:25:51 EDT 2003

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Kevin Kincaid wrote:

> Ever try reloading a border router (like a 7200 or higher) that is in a
> production environment.  It takes a while.  A "warm reload" would shave off
> several minutes a reboot (my definition of reboot is power cycling the
> device and waiting until all routes have re-converged to its state prior to
> the power cycle).  During maintenance, this time savings could add up.
> During a normal business day or a freak circumstance, when a reboot suddenly
> seems the best option, this would help decrease downtime.

The option seems to exist on GSR running 12.0(25)S1 :

hw-module slot 0 ?
  reload       Reload the target hardware
  warm-reboot  warm reboot the target hardware

I tried to "warm-reboot" a linecard (engine 2) not taking traffic. The LC
just managed to crash itself while trying to "warm-reboot" and then booted
from scratch.

The conclusion is: warm reboot may increase downtime :)

--
Antoine Versini     «Tu vois, ça ne coûte pas plus cher de bien manger.»
IP Networks Project Manager / T-Online France - Club-Internet