[nsp] 12.3T - a niiiiice feature :)

hakan lindholm hakan at staff.spray.se
Thu Aug 7 19:21:36 EDT 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Antoine Versini wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Kevin Kincaid wrote:
>
> > Ever try reloading a border router (like a 7200 or higher) that is
> > in a production environment.  It takes a while.  A "warm reload"
> > would shave off several minutes a reboot (my definition of reboot is
> > power cycling the device and waiting until all routes have
> > re-converged to its state prior to the power cycle).  During
> > maintenance, this time savings could add up. During a normal
> > business day or a freak circumstance, when a reboot suddenly seems
> > the best option, this would help decrease downtime.
>
> The option seems to exist on GSR running 12.0(25)S1 :
>
> hw-module slot 0 ?
>   reload       Reload the target hardware
>   warm-reboot  warm reboot the target hardware
>
> I tried to "warm-reboot" a linecard (engine 2) not taking traffic. The
> LC just managed to crash itself while trying to "warm-reboot" and then
> booted from scratch.
>
> The conclusion is: warm reboot may increase downtime :)

Worked fine on my LC-4OC3/POS-SM (eng 0). A lot faster than "hw-module
slot 0 reload" and "reload slot 0". Btw, is "hw-module slot 0 reload
debug" (with gdb) also a new feature?

A note about my LC-4OC3/POS-SM card is that all interfaces are in
shutdown. Not in use for the moment. The IOS is 12.0(25)S1.

/H