[nsp] Cisco problem

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Sat Aug 16 09:59:52 EDT 2003

Hi,

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:47:47AM -0700, Steve Francis wrote:
> > That's news to me.  Any cco reference?
> >
> > > Cisco does not recommend CEF on serial interfaces, you can
> > > globally enable CEF, then manually disable CEF for the serial
> > > interfaces.
>
> Doesn't make any sense to me either.   What good is an advanced
> switching method if you don't use it on *all* interfaces?

Ack. I see no reason of not using CEF on (low-speed) serial interfaces,
especially since CEF is a requirement for more advanced features like
MPLS. And an MPLS-VPN PE device usually has low-speed customer-facing
interfaces (incl. Dialer/ISDN).

> Actually I'd love to see Cisco drop all other switching paths (fast,
> optimum, distributed fast/optimum, etc.) to simplify the code...

fast-switching is still there and will be there, works just fine on
lower-end platforms. "ip route-cache optimum" has been gone since 12.0,
"ip route-cache cbus" is only supported on the c7000, and netflow is no
longer a switching path. So CEF/fast/process is all there is.

	oli