[nsp] Re: Newbie Cisco upgrade question, apologies in advance

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Tue Jul 1 11:11:56 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 00:21, james wrote:
> : On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 10:45:14PM -0600, james wrote:
> : > : > So, is it still true that we do not need anything more powerful than a 4500
> : > : > or 4700 to run this system?
> : >
> : > 4700 Fast Ethernet can only run half-duplex, 50 mbs,
> :
> : Fortunately mine doesn't know that :-)

> I ran with a Fast Ethernet and a DS-3 interface and the Fast Ethernet only would do half duplex,
> on a 4700.

We have loads of old 4500 and 4700 boxen lying around that used to be
deployed in our network, and I can certainly verify that all the NP-FE
cards we used in them did full-duplex with no problem. And we have quite
a few.

Not that it really matters, since a 4500/4700 will drop down and beg for
mercy before you are near filling that interface even at half-duplex...

/leg