[nsp] 2948G-L3: Will this blow up?

z at wotb.org z at wotb.org
Fri Jul 25 07:12:48 EDT 2003

Hi list,

   I know that from past adventures people have been pretty
adamently against the 2948G-L3 for the most part.

   I need to know if this is going to blow up if I install a
2948G-L3, as times are rough and this is the only l2/l3 device I
have at my disposal.

   The details:

   -- 2 /24 subnets that are fairly busy LAN-wise:  192.168.1.0/24,
      192.168.2.0/24.   These two subnets talk back and forth
      quite a bit, so we want to keep them from hitting a low-end
      router to chit-chat back and forth.

   -- Assorted regular 2948Gs and a few 2924s that are the L2
      devices on each subnet.  The 2948G-L3 will have one Gig-E
      interface go to each subnet, essentially to just one of the
      2948Gs on each subnet.

   -- The actual router that houses data circuits that we don't want
      pushing intra-LAN traffic around is at 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1.

   -- This 2948G-L3 will have BVIs for 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.2.2,
      which will be the default routes for the hosts on those subnets.

   The generic configuration:

interface FastEthernet1
 ip address 192.168.1.1
 no ip directed-broadcast
 bridge-group 1
!
interface FastEthernet2
 ip address 192.168.2.1
 no ip directed-broadcast
 bridge-group 2
!

.... many lines cut-out ...

interface GigabitEthernet49
 description Gig-E link to the .1 Subnet L2 Devices
 no ip address
 no ip directed-broadcast
 bridge-group 1
!
interface GigabitEthernet50
 description Gig-E link to the .2 Subnet L2 Devices
 no ip address
 no ip directed-broadcast
 bridge-group 2
!
interface BVI1
 description LAN 1 Subnet
 ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
 no ip directed-broadcast
!
interface BVI2
 description LAN 2 Subnet
 ip address 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.0
 no ip directed-broadcast
!

.... some more lines cut out ...

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1
!
bridge 1 protocol ieee
 bridge 1 route ip
bridge 2 protocol ieee
 bridge 2 route ip

   Questions:

   -- Will this blow up?

   -- What should the bridge ID be set to for STP, since this guy
      will want to be the root bridge.. or should the Gig-E links
      and the central location logically be enough to predetermine
      this without configuring anything extra?

   -- What is the best way to do the default routing, as the above
      just seems silly to me?   Perhaps just putting the router on
      192.168.0.1 and creating another BVI for it, etc?

TIA,

.z