[nsp] Connecting a 7200 to a 2600

Miquel van Smoorenburg miquels at cistron.net
Thu Nov 6 04:38:19 EST 2003

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:34:17, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 05:05:47PM -0500, Jim Brunetti wrote:
> > The E1 port on the 7200 is a DB15 Male connector (no internal CSU/DSU), while
>
> That's the PA-2E1, isn't it?  As far as I know, it *does* have an internal
> CSU/DSU, and just uses a weird cable (same thing as the NM-2CE1B for the
> 2600 and 3600 series).
>
> Cisco has a cable from the DB15 to RJ48c, and then you'd just need to swap
> RX and TX wires (1+2 <-> 3+6) with an adapter cable.

Or just buy a DB15 connector at the local electronics store
and use a soldering iron.

However if the E1 port on the 7200 is unbalanced (coax) you need to
put a balun in between. Use "show controllers E1" to find out. You
can get a balun at for example blackbox.

That's what I did - DB15 connector --> 2xBNC (homemade) -> balun (blackbox)
-> RJ45 -> E1 balanced equipment

If you decide to use a Cisco cable and an adapter cable make sure to buy
the Cisco cable with the built-in balun if the E1 on the 7200 is unbalanced.

Mike.