[nsp] Cisco 3750

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Apr 1 16:33:52 EST 2004

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:05:15AM -0600, Beprojects.com wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience with the 3750 series switches?  If so, what
> do you think of them?  Any limitations as far as # of VLAN's or trunking or
> etherchannel or anything like that?  What about performance?  Thanks in
> advance.

The "IPv6 capability" is marketing buzz (it's not there, even if the
hardware might be capable of it).

Access-Lists suck (permit ACLs don't log anything - neither the number of
"hits" nor the actual packets).  But the "deny" rules *work*, even if they
don't log all the packets seen.

There's no netflow support, even if the commands are accepted.

So if there's something fishy going on through one of these devices, you
need an external SPAN probe to look at things.  "Normal ways" won't work.

<rant> It's the same story again and again: it's a fast-and-dumb switch,
masquerading as a flexible-but-maybe-slow IOS device.  Why on earth it has
to masquerade as IOS if all the nice stuff that one is used to have
available on IOS boxes is just not going to work escaped me on the
2948G-L3 already...</rant>

If you can live with that, they seem to be very fast and generally quite
well-behaved.  We haven't seen any surprises on that end - but we haven't
beaten our single 3750G-24TS *that* hard yet.

IOS development for these boxes is awfully slow (read: not really
happening).  If something that you need is not there today, don't buy
the box, it might never come.  If the marketing brochure claims something
is there, make your distributor sign a piece of paper that you can return
the switch if it doesn't work.

(If that sounds like a disgruntled Cisco customer that has heard "we will
support X... <many years pause> ...but not in the hardware that *you* have,
this has been EOLed, buy the next-generation box" once too often - I have
no idea why that might be so).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de