[nsp] Cisco Cat3750 IPv6

Mike Sawicki fifi at HAX.ORG
Tue Apr 27 16:11:17 EDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 04:02:19PM -0400, Zach Wilkinson wrote:
> How about Extreme Summit? Never used them but the spec looks right.

We had some quality problems with the Extreme gear we purchased.
The Summit 48i, for example, comes crippled in its default
configuration.  If you want BGP/OSPF, their HA (I think it's called
ESRP) you have to shell out more cash.  The 3550/3750's fit nicely
into our mostly-cisco(tm) network and I'm sticking with them.

I had become so disenchanted with Cisco's prior switch lines
(feature-wise) that the 3550's are a breath of fresh air.  l2/3/4
acl's and QoS on each port has helped us considerably.  I know there
are more hardcore devices out there that trump Cisco's line
performance 2x or 3x but that isn't my primary concern.

These devices work well as CPE in datacenters for end customers.
They can easily forward several Gbps and virtually facilitate a
DMZ/other external nets before passing through a more advanced
firewall.

They also don't turn off mysteriously. (see Extreme, paragraph 1)

The right tool for the job..

Mike Sawicki
fifi at HAX.ORG