[c-nsp] BGP, RIP and default routes advice

Marco Matarazzo marmata at libero.it
Thu Aug 5 07:23:13 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I've a little question to ask about default routes and their redistribution
in RIP.

Right now I've two border 7200s speaking eBGP with two ISPs, and iBGP
between them. The eBGP peers are full, without default. The internal router
now is an OpenBSD with zebra, taking participating in the iBGP peers. No
problems so far, zebra has the full routing tables, and knows how to route
packets in the world.
We're in the process of removing the OpenBSD router, and install some
3550-48-SMIs as customer facing routers. They'll run RIP (it's SMI) with the
two borders, and redistribute the connected customer routes to them. Of
course those 3550s must also have a default route. And this is the problem.
I don't want to configure a couple of static ones, since it's all ethernet,
and the interfaces won't go down, and the backup default will never catch
in. Also I don't take default from the upstreams, so I must create one on
the borders. Connection to the upstreams is also ethernet, so no statics
here. From what I understand, I'll have to use the ip default-network
statement, but which network to use? Have you any suggestion?
Could I just take the network number of a couple large NAPs in the region,
hoping that they won't do a mantainance of the electrical panels in the same
hours of the same day? :)

TIA!
]\/[arco