[c-nsp] Wanted: Picture of working 7609 - Reward if found

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Aug 19 04:57:49 EDT 2004

> > I was wondering if people could comment on the quality
> > issues around the 7609. We seem to have a large number of
> > problems with these boxes, some software, a lot hardware
> > issues, DOA, a lot of hardware failures, random cards rebooting.
>
> We have had some hardware issues as well on ours, but the software
> issues has been worse. Sometimes, you could count the number of
> days with out a IOS-problem in days, not weeks or months. We
> are so far using the 12.1E train (nowadays 12.1(20)E3), the
> 12.2SX seams a bit to scary yet.

I remember well the problems with 7609 used as an MPLS PE router (I
used to work for the same employer as Per).

At my current employer we have a number of 6509s but these are either
used as pure L2 boxes, or L2 combined with basic L3 (IP routing with
OSPF, some HSRP, some BGP). No MPLS. These 6509s are very stable.

> > The box has a fantastic set of features and when its working
> > its excellent.
>
> I'm not very impressed by the feature set, at least not in 12.1E.
> All interesting features is first introduced in 12.0S on the GSR,
> then on 12.0S/12.2S on 72/7500 and a looong time later *maybe*
> on the 7600.

I think part of the problem with 6500/7600 is that the feature set is
*too* large and complex, which makes it difficult to get a stable IOS
version if you want to use a significant number of these features.

> Being frankly, if I would redo the choice today, I would have chosen
> a smaller GSR or some other vendors equipment instead of the 7600.

My current employer has chosen the "other vendor" route, which has
worked well for us so far.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no