[c-nsp] FR and QoS

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Thu Dec 9 04:36:26 EST 2004

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:

> Now, I think service policies will not work on interfaces that have FR
> sub-interfaces configured. I dont exactly remember the reason, but I
> think for FR one needs to use FRTS for QoS.

You can nest a service policy inside the FRTS; just add the 'service-policy'
line to the map-class along with the usual cir, bc et al.  You can only
queue with it though, not shape, similar to attaching a service policy to a
PVC rather than an ATM sub-interface.

In theory you can instead attach a service policy to the sub-interface that
both shapes and queues.  I've had this working, but I've also had it failing
quite miserably, and failing silently (which is *far* more annoying).  On my
to-do list to nail it down to which combinations of chassis, line-card, IOS
and sacrificial chickens actually work :(

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
                                            f: +44 20 7863 5876