[nsp] Cisco 3640 ATM and Mupltiple ISP's Question

Kenny Stoltz kenny at qx.net
Thu Feb 12 17:45:47 EST 2004

Doesn't seem like the typical setup as they usually let you put the
customer on whatever PVC you want, but you can grab more bits for the
VPI through "atm maxvpi-bits" on the atm interface, which would let you
go up to 80.

As for setting up a range I think that they want to set up different
VPIs for each DSLAM, so you would have VPI 80, 81, 82, 83, etc. You will
still need a VCI for each customer, unless (god help you) they are going
to dump all the traffic from the DSLAM onto one circuit and make you
sort it out, so your VCIs will look like 80/200. Starting at 80 is a
really crappy idea though because it means that you don't have as many
bits for VCI.

I am assuming this is the relationship I know of where you get an ATM
pipe into the network and you sell DSL circuits to customers and the
telco gets a dsl loop fee and you get the data in your atm pipe from the
customer, is this correct? Where does "multiple isps" come in then?

Kenny