[nsp] kentrox hdlc

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Feb 29 16:09:53 EST 2004

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, ringwyrm27 wrote:

> Put a hard loop on the network side of the CSU/DSU and see if the router
> interface comes up looped.
>
> You may need to temporarily change the clock/timing of the CSU/DSU to
> internal/master.  Most CSU/DSU's (including Kentrox) default to internal if
> there is no signal to recover clock from on the line.
>
> If you come up looped, you know your good to the CSU/DSU.  Then work with
> Telco and progressively move the loop towards the othe end of the circuit
> until the loop fails.

NM-HSSI <-> kentrox <-> kentrox <-> NM-HSSI works just fine. The problem
is not on the link level with AIS or clocking, that works just fine.

It's:

NM-HSSI <-> kentrox <-> PCI DS3 card

that doesnt work. There is no telco in between, only two RG59 coax cables.

As has been stated, this is most likely a DSU framing issue. So my
question is:

Does anyone know what the difference is between a Cisco DS3
interface in "cisco framing mode" and a kentrox in "kentrox framing mode",
and if it's likely that this would be handled by the driver on the Linux
side of the DS3 card, or if this is a microcode issue or even a hardware
issue for the DS3 card.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se