[nsp] NPE-G1

Roman Sokolov rps at cheater.ru
Sat Jan 31 03:58:54 EST 2004

Hello David,

Saturday, January 31, 2004, 4:41:54 AM, you wrote:
DS> The limit is the CPU.  Cisco's marketing numbers for the NPE-G1 forwarding
DS> ability is 1Mpps.  So just doing the math means that you can do on the order
DS> of 1Gig unidirectional, but no more.  Given that the real world PPS numbers
DS> are often different, it should be of no surprise that no one has reported
DS> wire-rate.
This is ok, but comparing to competing 7507 we have this situation: even
with RSP16 it can do only half of NPE-G1 performance, and this in plain
CEF. Even more, with so "great" feature as dCEF it can't do more than 15%
of GE at one linecard (in real life, VIP4-80 can do only 50-70kpps). So, on
7507 full-load (dCEF and modern VIPs) we have
560kpps(2xRSP16)+210kpps(3xGEIP+, 70k on each - no more)+300kpps(other 2
VIPs), 2gbps bus (and many issues problems with netflow from VIP's etc.).
Now it looks no so good, isn't it?