[nsp] Dynamic load balancing outgoing traffic (unequal paths)

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Mon Jul 19 10:14:51 EDT 2004

Hi,

> 	I'm looking for a scalability solution for dynamic load
> balancing the outgoing traffic of my ISP with unequal bandwidth paths.
> I have 3 upstream with theirs respective bandwidth: 60, 200 and 120
> Mbps each one in separate routers which are acting like route
> reflector clients.
>
> I was thinking in this solutions:
> 	.- Injecting a default route from the RR-clients to my RR via
> eIGRP and using variance (I don't know if this could work).

Not sure if this will work as you might black-hole traffic (depends on
your topology).

> 	.- Reading about BGP Link Bandwidth in this case I may work with
> my upstream.

Ack, I'd check out BGP Link-Bandwidth with iBGP multipath. I think this
will do what you want.

> 	.- And loosing the dynamic conf: full routing setting different
> weights to a set of routes between my upstream.

This is the "traditional" approach, i.e. manual load-sharing, quite
labor-intensive..

As an additional option you could evaluate a brand-new feature called
Optimized Edge Routing (OER).
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/prodlit/coerd_wp.htm, not
sure if it fits, but definitly worth reading..

	oli