[nsp] BGP Entries - Comparison

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Jun 16 10:55:53 EDT 2004

Paul Stewart wrote:

> I'm trying to diagnose why our upstream providers have some varying numbers
> of routes coming to us...
>
> Provider A has 136992
> Provider B has 141471
> Provider C has 121855
>
> These are three full feeds coming into us... Why the huge difference in
> numbers?  I realize that there will be differences based on connectivity
> etc. but that much??

Could be a reflection of transit vs. peering arrangements, density of
longer customer subnets that they're sending you, etc.

> Is anyone cutting tables off at /24 and what has your experience been?  I
> thought for some reason that you were not even allowed to advertise any
> subnets smaller than /24's via BGP anyways or am I dreaming? :)

I currently have two pipes to InterNAP, and I'm cutting off at /24 from
them.  Last time I checked, I was rejecting less than 100 routes on each
pipe that were longer than /24.

pt