[nsp] single-col, multi-col, 6509

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 14:59:16 EST 2004

Some background!:

In half-duplex ethernet runs CSMA/CD to tx and rx on the same wire and detect
for collisions, basically what happens is the ethernet controller waits for the
line to be emtpy then transmits its frame, when its finished it listens to hear
if anyone else has accidentally started to transmit. If it decides another
device has transmitted it calls it a collision, sends out a jam signal to let
the other network devices know and then waits a bit before retrying.

Now,
Single means it tried to transmit a frame but got a collision..

Multiple means the same as above except when it tried the second time there was
another collision.

Its generally accepted that the singles are normal and to be expected but
multiples indicates the network is overloaded.

But! You also get collisions if you have a duplex mismatch, are you sure the
switch port is supposed to be running half duplex or auto duplex? If the other
device is set to forced full duplex then the switch will get collisions and the
other device will get FCS (frame checksum) errors. If you think this is the case
set the port to full duplex (set port dup x/y full)

Steve