[nsp] HSRP vs. GLBP on sup720

atticus at satanic.org atticus at satanic.org
Tue May 11 00:16:55 EDT 2004

> I am currently designing a high-availability network for a data center,
> and the routing is via 6500/sup720s running the latest recommended IOS
> release for the sup720.
>   Those releases support both GLBP and HSRP and I have been reading the
> docs on GLBP and it sounds like an improvement over HSRP, especially
> since it provides the load-sharing capabilities.

I haven't played with it yet myself, but given the huge amount of
forwarding capacity you have and the relatively static nature of a
datacenter, I don't see where GLBP would help you out much. If you need to
spread out load internally, consider multiple HSRP groups, if egress is
your concern, play with yuor routing protocol.

The key place I see GLBP fitting is in a user environment (where host load
is unpredictable) and you're dealing with high-touch services that are
going to heavily tax router resources.

Without having anything to back it up, I'd say to stick w/ your initial
trepidation and save it for later.