[nsp] Rate - limiting

Dan Armstrong dan at beanfield.com
Thu May 20 15:29:17 EDT 2004

We have only found 2 ways to rate limit customers.

1. Use ATM PA-A3 adaptors and 1483 bridge.  These support per VC
shaping, and work very well.

2. the OSM blades available for the 6500/7600 support per vlan shaping.

Policing/MGC in our experience is not a viable way to rate-limit, as it
severely impacts the customer experience.

We rate limit on a 2950 switch at ingress for traffic coming from the
customer, and rate limit on the router for traffic going towards the router.