[c-nsp] Cisco Layer 3 Switch Recommendation

Ivan Groenewald ivang2 at xtrahost.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 17:17:55 EST 2004

According to me a switch by definition is a layer 2 bridge. Possibly, I got
lost there years ago.
I think that's about the time when sales people started mangling the
definitions of layered networking. (see misleading "multi-layered"
productlines).

I think the best you can is to just call things layer 3+ or layer 2
networking devices. (layer 1 networking devices of course are things like
cables and sellotape)
"the thingy with lots of ports" and "the thingy with all the telco stuff
strapped into it" has also been know to work :)

-- i

Tel: 0845 345 0919
Xtraordinary Hosting, 6 The Clocktower, South Gyle, Edinburgh, EH12 9LB
http://www.xtrahost.co.uk