[c-nsp] Growing BGP tables

Ian Dickinson ian.dickinson at pipex.net
Mon Nov 22 05:48:27 EST 2004

Neil J. McRae wrote:
> Engine 0 and Engine 1 have this problem [and enough other problems
> that you should pull them out asap they are totally useless cards
> same is true for Engine 2 also [esp the gige card] IMO].

Not suitable for full-table primetime I agree, but not totally
useless in other situations.  This is no much different from any
other 'move older gear from core to edge' scenario.  It all depends
on what you use them for.  Engine 2 cards are fine within the
limitations (ie don't use ACLs, don't run more than 2Gbps etc)
which don't really matter for private AToM services etc, where
they work just fine.  I don't disagree at allwith the scenario you
posted though...

> Early GRP cards have a 256M limit, mostly A's but some B's also we've
> found. The good news is that the PRP-2 seems to work as a direct
> replacement with 12.0-27.S3 without any issues [at least in our env].

Yes - PRP-2 is sweet so far.

Of course, if you ever plan to go to XR on a given router, you need to
kill all the old hardware there (ie no 12008/12012, 12016 must be
upgraded to 12416, no GRP/GRP-B, no Engine 0/1/2 LCs)  Time to join
the current century.
--
Ian Dickinson
Development Engineer