[c-nsp] PA-POS-2OC3

Yasser Aly yasser.aly at noorgroup.net
Sun Nov 28 05:00:59 EST 2004

Hello,

 I have a question here. If the total bandwidth points/bus exceeded the
maximum. Will all the cards work - but with degraded performance -, or the
card that needs extra resources than the bus can provide will not be
detected from the beginning?

For example consider this scenario:

VXR 7204 with the following specs:
Slot 0: C7200-IO-FE (Needs 200 points)
Slot 1: PA-A3-OC3MM (Needs 300 points)
Slot 3: PA-FE-TX    (Needs 200 points)
Slot 4: PA-A3-OC3MM (Needs 300 points)

Left Bus total points:  700 points
Right Bus total points: 300 points

What would be the case in this scenario ?
I know that balance can be adjusted by moving PA-FE-TX from slot 3 to slot 2
but I am interested to know what will happen if the bandwidth point rule was
violated. Is it a total unworking card or working with degraded performance?

Regards,
Yasser