[c-nsp] A compromise between traffic from 2 links to one

Karim Adel karim.adel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 04:37:25 EDT 2004

Dear NSP

We have 2 links on different routers, an OC3 and a T3.

The T3 are used to carry a small amount of traffic, at most (24 Mbps)
and the OC3 carries at most (146Mbps),

We have to remove the T3 for a week or so, and of course let the T3
traffic flow through the OC3, but obviously adding the traffic on both
links sums up to (146+24 = 170 Mbps),
You will notice that with this calculation, we exceeded the OC3
physical bandwidth,

The traffic over the T3 has less priority for my business, I am sure
there will be dropping, and that would be the T3 traffic, thinking out
of the box, I had a couple of nice ideas, but they all needed code,
which isn't something we have available right now, can I reach a fair
compromise using rate limiting, BGP, QoS, Any ideas ?

Kind Regards,