[c-nsp] Catalyst 5505 RSM/ROMMON

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Mon Oct 18 05:02:02 EDT 2004

Hi,

At 09:42 p.m. 18/10/2004, Tim Franklin wrote:
>cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:
>
> > I have a Catalyst 5505 with a RSM that has an unknown password set on
> > it. The password recovery procedure involves connecting a console
> > cable and entering the ROMMON mode, but no matter how hard I try
> > I can't get this thing to enter ROMMON.
> >
> > The console screen is totally blank and won't respond to any
> > keystrokes (including Ctrl+break) until the RSM actually boots up and
> > displays "Press RETURN to get started."
> > All keystrokes work after that.
>
>Could be that the console-as-configured-by-confreg and the
>console-as-configured-by-line-con are set to different baud rates.  I've
>seen this before where I've upped the console to 115k2 to xmodem in an
>image, but still had a "standard" config on the box that sets con 0 to 9600.
>
>Try stepping through some different speeds on your terminal and see if any
>of them get regular boot output.
>
>Regards,
>Tim.

I wonder if the problem is that his cable is wrong, I have been there done
that before ..

If you are using a rolled/standard console cable with a DB25 connector
plugged into the RJ45 end, try a straight through cable (such as an cat5
ethernet) with a DB25 on one end and DB9 on the other end to your serial
port, and see if that works instead.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/2.html may be helpful.

Reuben