[c-nsp] Monitoring Null0 interface

Kim Onnel karim.adel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 10:49:39 EDT 2005

Hi,

For a mid-sized ISP, on the main internet gateway, we have routes to
Null0 for unused subnets(to be inserted to the routing table -> BGP
table) and other Null0 routes tagged for blackholing,

I managed to setup an MRTG graph for the PPS as suggested by someone
on the list before, to be able to view worms/port scans, the graphs
shows a constant traffic on the interface, below are the numbers for
today:

Max packets  	100.1 kpkts/sec 		Average packets  	89.7 kpkts/sec
Current packets  	0.0 pkts/sec

Max packets  	73.1 kpkts/sec 		Average packets  	9805.0 pkts/sec
		Current packets  	0.0 pkts/sec

Numbers for the Whole week :

Max packets   	202.0 kpkts/sec  	 	Average packets   	90.9 kpkts/sec
	 	Current packets   	85.1 kpkts/sec

Max packets  	172.6 kpkts/sec 		Average packets  	11.6 kpkts/sec
		Current packets  	7466.0 pkts/sec

Ok, so i know there are worms now, this is a 7600 switch, how do i go
next, i cant configure it for netflow for example, to be able to see
such traffic, the only configuration i have on the interface right now
is below:

7600#sh run int null0
!
interface Null0