[c-nsp] Redundent RSP4s w/ 12.3/12.4 - Where did SSO go?

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Mon Aug 1 22:23:17 EDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 10:08:51PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Rodney Dunn wrote:
>
> > Because there are some pretty large scalability issues
> > in 12.2(25)S due to some infrastructure changes for
> > CEF that went in there.
>
> I missed part of this thread, but I gather that though SSO was in earlier
> 12.2S releases (12.2(18)S6 for instance), it got removed in or around
> 12.2(25)S and won't be back any time soon?

No it was never removed from 12.2(25)S. We did have some problems
with the standby booting if you used the encryption image. I'd
have to dig up that bug but if you are using the -pv- feature
set that problem shouldn't exist.

...or may be back in a special
> 12.2S[A-Z]* release specific to the 7500?

Well that is what I'm telling the customers I work with a lot.
Wait for the SB release to come out which is based on post
12.2(25)S code that has the performance issues resolved and
also has better feature parity (ie: MLPPP w/ MPLS functionality).

> We're still using these (with redundant RSPs) for MPLS VPN aggregation
> (mostly FE subinterfaces in VRFs).

If you want the best HA then you will want the SB based code that
can give you MPLS NSF.

It's technically in 12.2(25)S but I haven't worked with a customer
that has tried it yet.