[c-nsp] IOS on 1811/1841

Łukasz Bromirski lbromirski at mr0vka.eu.org
Fri Aug 12 17:10:39 EDT 2005

Adam Greene wrote:
> Hi -- anyone know if the Advanced Security 12.3 IOS image is just a subset
> of the Advanced IP Services image?

Yes. Look here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5460/products_qanda_item09186a00801af2c6.shtml

 > I'm confused because the feature navigator on CCO lists both an
 > Advanced Security and an Advanced IP Services image for the 1841, but
 > only the Advanced IP Services image for the 1811.

1841 is modular 1800-series, while 180x and 1811/1812 are
fixed-configuration ones. For th1 1811/1812 You have option to select
either Advanced IP Services or Advanced Enterprise Services, which
is consistent with Table 4 of fixed-configuration 1800-series here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps5853/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a95f.html

> Another question: the customer wants to be able to terminate VPNs with this
> router as well as utilize the router as their Internet-edge firewall.
> Assuming we're not planning to run BGP with the customer, do you think
> they'd see a performance improvement with a PIX-515E rather than the 1811 or
> 1841? We're talking about a dual redundant failover 4Mbps Ethernet link
 > between us and them.

For 4Mbit/s each of solutions should perform well, however router will
be more flexible in terms of QoS, routing policy and load balancing.

--
this space was intentionally left blank    |            Łukasz Bromirski
you can insert your favourite quote here   |        lukasz:bromirski,net