[c-nsp] OSPF vs BGP to customer

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Aug 18 00:04:31 EDT 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Adam Greene wrote:

> I think I saw this covered on a past thread (problem is, I don't remember
> when) ...
>
> We need to set up a customer with redundant links to two distinct segments
> of our OSPF network. Ideally, the customer would utilize the same block of
> IP's on each link. I'm thinking the customer could run OSPF with us, or
> eBGP. BGP is going to imply more $$ for the customer, and probably more work
> for us. I'm wondering if it's worth the added time & expense.

I don't agree that simply running BGP will cost the customer more money.
Taking two default routes or some small set of prefixes from you and
announcing their prefix(es) to you in and of itself generally puts very
little load on a router.  Many people equate 'running BGP' with 'running
BGP and taking full route feeds'.

> Is it generally recommended to avoid running OSPF with customers for any
> reason?

Other posters have mentioned very good reasons not to run OSPF.  The only
way I'd even remotely consider it is if I managed the customer premise
router(s) that were speaking OSPF with my backbone.  It's simply too big
of a risk to give customers a means of injecting potentially dangerous
routing information into your backbone IGP.  Yes you can run separate OSPF
processes to give you some degree of control over route redistribution,
but that to me would be more headache than just running BGP.  BGP allows a
very fine degree of control over exactly what you will and will not accept
from the customer.

If the customer is connected only to your network and your AS is
consistent across your backbone, your customer can run BGP using a private
AS number, or better (if you have one) an extra public AS number that's
used solely for 'captive' multihomed customers, like what UUNET does with
AS7046.

jms