[c-nsp] OSPF vs BGP to customer

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Thu Aug 18 09:39:50 EDT 2005

Thanks all for the replies on and off list.

The basic idea I get from the responses are:
#1-    BGP gives more administrative control than OSPF with less likelihood
of customer advertisements wreaking havoc on the backbone
#2-    OSPF could be utilized, but customer should be relegated to
independent area and routes filtered before injection into the backbone
area. However, this is more complicated and perhaps more prone to nasty
accidents than just running BGP

If anyone wants to elaborate even more than you have on the drawbacks of #2,
that would be great.

Also, it was pointed that BGP does not necessarily imply more $$ than OSPF.
Yes, I agree with that, especially because we'd be sending default routes to
the customer. However, part of the deal is that the customer needs to
purchase a router in the 1800/2800 range which also supports on-board VPN
acceleration, and I'm finding that the Advanced IP Services bundles
(supporting BGP) are more expensive than the Advanced Security bundles in
general.

Thanks for all the help,
Adam