[c-nsp] 100 meg throughput

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Dec 15 01:41:21 EST 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 10:51:34PM -0500, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

> int x/y
>  load 30
>
>   30 second input rate 191000 bits/sec, 151 packets/sec
>   30 second output rate 6000 bits/sec, 1 packets/sec

	once again, this isn't real utilization.

	it's the result of this:

  new average = ((average - interval) * exp (-t/C)) + interval

(see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1818/products_tech_note09186a0080191323.shtml)

	I can type load 30 just as well as anyone else, but you don't
get to see the data you get on a Juniper.

	I can run a test stream through a device and watch it
the traffic there after a few seconds via sh int or monitor interface.

	It's not to say that the data isn't accurate for what it's meant
to represent, it just doesn't represent what I generally want to know.

	It's a lot easier to see those bursts when you're not
looking over a 30s time period in the CLI without doing aggressive
SNMP polling which drives up the cpu usage a lot more when looking at
all the interfaces vs the one you care about..

	- jared