[c-nsp] PIM neighbor only established on one side of 2 6509s connected by GigE

Peter Gutierrez peterg at nic.umass.edu
Thu Feb 17 16:33:19 EST 2005

I am having a problem with multicast between two 6509s connected by
GigE that I am pretty sure started when my end was upgraded from
12.2(17d)SXB to 12.2(18)SXD. The other end is running 12.2(18)SXD2.

My end does not have a PIM neighbor on the interface -

#sh ip pim int ge7/3

Address          Interface                Ver/   Nbr    Query  DR     DR
                                           Mode   Count  Intvl  Prior
xxx.x.xx.102     GE-WAN7/3                v2/S   0      30     1
xxx.x.xx.102

Their end does have a PIM neighbor on the interface (my end) -

# show ip pim interface vlan yyy

Address          Interface                Ver/   Nbr    Query  DR     DR
                                           Mode   Count  Intvl  Prior
xxx.x.xx.101     Vlanyyy                  v2/S * 1      30     1
xxx.x.xx.102

both ends have the interface config statement `ip multicast boundary 40`

and acl 40 is

access-list 40 deny   224.0.1.39
access-list 40 deny   224.0.1.40
access-list 40 deny   239.0.0.0 0.255.255.255
access-list 40 permit any

so that shouldn't affect the PIM Hello traffic.

MBGP and MSDP peering are working ok between the two routers, but
multicast traffic doesn't go out that interface.

PeterG