[c-nsp] Re: Identify unicast flood traffic

Todd, Douglas M. DTODD at PARTNERS.ORG
Tue Jan 18 09:38:23 EST 2005

Brian:

The best way to catch unicast flooding is to span the upstream trunk and look
unicast packets that should not be on that segment.  We often compare the mac's
of the source to the traffic and see if these are being flooded down the
segment.  If you would like more help email me off line.

==DMT>

%SIG%

Douglas M. Todd, Jr.
Network Engineering (MGH/CNY/NSMC/MCLEAN)
Partners Health Care
Building 149 13th Street
Location: 149-10-10056E
Charlestown, MA 02129-2000 (MGH)
(T): 617.726.1403
(F): 617.724.9871
Security:
Verisign S/N: 7b1bb86860eb26a53b57c8acb8e9fc4f
pgp: search keyserver for: dtodd at partners.org

----
The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person or
entity
information.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
action
in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended

recipient is prohibited.  If you received this email in error, please contact
the

old>>-----Original Message-----
old>>From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
old>>[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of
old>>Brian Turnbow
old>>Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 05:37
old>>To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
old>>Subject: [c-nsp] Identify unicast flood traffic
old>>
old>>
old>>Hello Everyone,
old>>I am trying to find a way to detect unicast flood mac
old>>addresses on cat 3550 and 3750, does anyone have any ideas
old>>besides a sniffer ?
old>>Something similar to the sh mac-address-table
old>>unicast-flood   command on
old>>6500
old>>Thanks
old>>Brian