[c-nsp] Re: EIGRP load balancing.

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Jan 19 05:27:49 EST 2005

>           I have 2 IP Lease Circuits ,terminating on 7204 - NPE-G1 ,
> utilization for Router 4-5 % . Running Eigrp in same AS.
>
> Problem Description:
> The 2 links have latency L1- 150 ms and L2- 200 ms, we have ip cef
> flow switching enabled on both sides. Since Delay is factor for eigrp
> metrics, L1 is preffered,

eigrp uses "Delay" as part of its composite metric, but this delay is
fixed per interface (shown in "show int" and does not depend on the
RTT).

> but often situation becomes bad, Link1 is
> utilized to about 80% while Link2 is utilized only about 30% , though
> after sometimes, the situation becomes normal , and they both might
> run at 40% / 30%  etc..

Can you send your eigrp and interface config and send "show ip route
x.x.x.x" and "show ip cef x.x.x.x internal" for a sample route going
over the interfaces.
To me this currently sounds like normal behaviour.. since we hash on L3
src/dest, a low number of flows can cause unequal distribution.

> We cannot run per packet load balancing since that has made our vioce
> issues worse.
> Any ideas to tackle this situation?

Multilink PPP?

	oli