[c-nsp] 3750 Stack-Wise

cisco at confluence.com cisco at confluence.com
Thu Jan 20 17:54:30 EST 2005

I think only the stack master has to be EMI.  The rest of the switches in
the stack could be SMI. However, if the switch with the EMI image died, then
the new stack master would be running the SMI image and you'd lose your EMI
capabilities.

So if you had a stack of (6) 3750's, and you had two of them with EMI images
and four SMI, you would have redundant EMI stack masters and save some cash
on the remaining four switches.  Just set the stack member priority values
so that your two EMI switches have higher priority than the SMI switches.

check out:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuratio
n_guide_chapter09186a008017ed92.html

"The system-level features supported on the stack master are supported on
the entire switch stack. If the switch stack must have switches running both
standard multilayer software image (SMI) and enhanced multilayer software
image (EMI) software, we recommend that a switch running the EMI software be
the stack master. EMI features become unavailable if the stack master is
running the SMI software."

-Brian