[c-nsp] 6500/7600 with Sup720 opinion

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Tue Jan 25 18:13:32 EST 2005

> Hmm - this makes me rethink... I was just about to order a
> 6506+SUP2/MSFC2
> as an edge router (6 full tables, necessary max. throughput without
> impact
> on the box 8 Gbps @ 10-20 Mpps (CEF/dCEF)).
>
> I thought the platform was ideal for this, so what's the problem with
> 76/65 IOS versions?

Basic IPv4 functionality (i.e. BGP, OSPF, netflow, acl) is rock solid
on this platform.  There are some horrible IOS bugs but the only ones
that have caused us issues is when we've tried something more
"adventurous".  Haven't used 65xx in an MPLS environment or with v6, or
NSF, or SSO etc etc and I'm sure there's issues down those lines.  But,
for basic routing/switching, it's a great platform.

David