[c-nsp] 3640 and Full-rate DS3

John Neiberger John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com
Tue Jul 5 17:48:27 EDT 2005

>>> Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> 7/5/05 3:00:19 PM >>>
>On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, John Neiberger wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to find this info on CCO but so far no luck. Do any of
you
>> know if a 3640 can support a full-rate DS3 with a HSSI module? I
can't
>> find any documentation that mentions if it can do full-rate DS3
whether
>> it's with a HSSI module or a T3 network module.
>
>Where, in the cisco marketing numbers fantasy lab, or in the real
world?

>In short, no way!  Not even close.  Though, now I'm not sure what you
mean
>by full-rate.  It'll clock DS3 at full rate and bring up the
interface,
>but it can't route a full DS3 worth of IP traffic.

By full-rate I really mean a DS3 that is pretty much full from time to
time. It's certainly not full all the time but it can be maxed our for
several minutes during some file transfers. This is currently being
handled by a 3662 but I don't have a spare 3662. I do have a spare 3640
that could be used in emergencies but that would mean I'd have to swap
chassis twice: once if the 3662 fails and then once again when the
replacement 3662 arrives. I think I'm just going to get 24x7x4 SmartNET
on the 3662 so I only have to do things once.

If the 3640 can't handle a full DS3 then that makes my decision even
easier. :)

Thanks!
John