[c-nsp] mdix question for the 3750

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Tue Jul 12 14:51:30 EDT 2005

--On July 12, 2005 6:40:37 PM +0200 Alexander Koch <efraim at clues.de> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> when I do mdix auto on a 3750 and all set to auto on a 2950G
> and connect these two with a straight cable, it does come up.
>
> Now, does anyone here understand why I would want to have a
> 3750-24TS with 10/100/1000 ports with mdix and still be able
> to set 'speed 100' on that port? It will not come up, not a
> second. Think of a customer having his port negotiate to 1000
> and burst above 100. ;-)
>
> Am I overlooking anything? I think I did some extensive
> testing... and could not get the port up with speed 100.

I don't know about the 3750's (not having tested_ but historically setting
the speed parameters would disable all automatic negotiations of speed, and
duplex, and I'd imagine now the mdi/mdix functionality.  You can lock it in
mdi/mdix mode, and you'll probably have to lock the other end to a speed
and duplex to match too.

I'm not totally sure though but give that a try.