[c-nsp] T1 to VLAN

Krzysztof Adamski k at adamski.org
Wed Jun 1 14:20:03 EDT 2005

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Matthew Crocker wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2005, at 1:42 PM, Lupi, Guy wrote:
>
> > Whiterock Networks just acquired a company called Seranoa, they
> > have a box
> > that takes T1s in and sends them out as VLANs on a Fast or Gigabit
> > Ethernet
> > interface.
> >

> I have a Seranoa WANPort running in my network, it handles 12 DS-3s,
> channelized and converts the HDLC or Frame Relay DLCI frames into
> 802.1q VLANs on a GigE Interface.  The box has been running in my
> network for a couple years now, it works great but I only have 1 DS-3
> full right now.  I've heard of problems when you fill it up
> Seranoa support was spotty at best,  I haven't had to call Whiterock
> yet so I can't comment on their support.
>
> I've never had a problem with my WANPort in operation, I wish Seranoa
> survived because this is truly a neat product.
>
> -Matt

The VLX300 by White Rock (WANPort by Seranoa) looks like it will do what I
need (it is a bit pricy at $20k for the base box), but it takes a
channelized T3, I get T1s. A box that would take the T1s, backhaul them
over fibre and deliver from fibre to the VLX300 in DS3 form, all in a
1U format and cheap.