[c-nsp] T1 to VLAN

Eric Kagan ekagan at axsne.com
Wed Jun 1 21:08:32 EDT 2005

I'm looking for a solution that would take a bunch (at least 10) T1s and
convert them to Ethernet 802.1q tagged frames. They have to remain
independed from each other, so it has to be a L2 solution.

> The VLX300 by White Rock (WANPort by Seranoa) looks like it
> will do what I
> need (it is a bit pricy at $20k for the base box), but it takes a
> channelized T3, I get T1s. A box that would take the T1s,
> backhaul them
> over fibre and deliver from fibre to the VLX300 in DS3 form, all in a
> 1U format and cheap.

If this is a 1-1 relationship could you use VRF ? A cisco 3600/7200 (non vxr
even) with MPLS code and 4/8 port T1 cards and Fast E ISL/802.1 with
sub-interface for each VLAN and just put each  T1/VLAN in their own VRF
group.  Real easy if it is all done in the same router and it would keep
costs down as well.

Eric