[c-nsp] Maximum supported number of Virtual-templates

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Sun Jun 12 05:36:32 EDT 2005

Yasser,

if you're doing PPPoATM or some other PPPoX scenario, you might want
consider applying the appropriate policy-maps (which need to be defined
locally on the router) via Radius attributes
"lcp:interface-config=service-policy..." or
"ip:sub-policy-In=XXX"/"ip:sub-policy-Out" (the latter commands are
supported on virtual-access sub-interfaces) instead of defining a
virtual-template per customer.

You would still need to maintain two configurations (Radius profiles and
local policy-maps), but since this would likely to be the case with
virtual-templates as well, you can reduce the router configuration by
using the same vtemplate for all customers.

Please also bear in mind that there is a maximum number of
policy-maps/class-maps on the router (don't know it offhand, something
like 1024, not sure), so you want to re-use policy-maps as much as
possible across your customer base if you terminate many customers on
the box.

	oli

Yasser Aly <mailto:yaseraly00 at yahoo.com> wrote on Sunday, June 12, 2005
10:37 AM:

> Oliver,
>
>   Thanks for your reply.
>
> The reason behind needing virtual-templates is to have QoS
> configuration configured under virtual-template per customer.
> Customers are terminated under ATM interface as sub-interfaces and
> each customer has specific needs.
>
> Basically I need virtual-template per customer following this Cisco
> URL

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_configuration_e
xample09186a0080101210.shtml

> QoS parameters will be differnet from one customer to the other.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
> Yasser
>
> "Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer)" <oboehmer at cisco.com> wrote:
>
> 	Yasser Aly <> wrote on Sunday, June 12, 2005 9:42 AM:
>

> 	> I need help figuring out maximum number of virtual-templates
that a
> 	> 7200 can support.
>
> 	depends on release, just do
>
> 	router(config)#int virtual-template ?
> 	<1-200> Virtual-Template interface number
>
> 	and it tells you the max# (the above was taken with 12.2. If I
recall
> 	correctly, the number was increased to 200 sometimes in
12.2T/12.3