[c-nsp] BGP table growth and memory

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Mon Jun 20 19:24:00 EDT 2005

On 21/06/2005, at 6:10 AM, Gert Doering wrote:

> <rant>
> 256 Mb will last for "another 2-3 years" if people would finally start
> to *care* what sort of garbage they announce into the routing table.
>
> Unfortunately, these days it seems to be "pretty normal" to have a /19
> and announce it as 32 x /24, and similar garbage that has no benefit
> for anyone.

.... and I remember a while back we were discussing an option that
would have solved this by allowing you to filter out more specifics for
prefixes that are contained in an aggregate block with the same next
hop.  It even got to the stage that Rodney Dunn had a TAC feature
request case opened for it so we could all voice our desire for a
feature that would increase the life span of our routers.  And when the
votes were counted only 2 people bothered to add their name to the
list.

</rant>

David

P.s. thanks for letting me share your rant Gert ;-)