[c-nsp] BGP table growth and memory

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Wed Jun 22 00:05:25 EDT 2005

David J. Hughes wrote:
>>But what if the /19 goes away but the /24s remain?  If you've discarded
>>them, you have no way to know that you can reinstall them, and now
>>you've lost connectivity to that site when the rest of us still see it.
>

> That's an implementation issue and I'm sure the smart folk at Cisco
> could come up with some mechanism for dealing with it (eg keep the
> discarded routes compressed outside the RIB and FIB for reinsertion if
> needed for example).  This had been part of the original discussion and
> Rodney was chatting with some engineering type guys about options.
>

> David

I think the answer to this lies in where you look at it.

Instead of not installing the aggregate's member routes and potentialy
missing them when the aggregate gets withdrawn, the way to implement
this is as a feature to suppress ADVERTISING the member prefixes, even
while keeping them in the table.

All algorithms on throwing out routes based on the existance of other
routes should be adjusted to algorithms restricting further
*advertisiment*, but the routes should be kept.

So if you want your NPE's life extended you ask your Peers to turn that
knob.

Furthermore this would work well with a border+core RR setup, where the
knob is turned on at the border.

Ideally this would be done as close to the source as possible, i.e. his
peers.